Smart homes were allways interesting to me because they look like something from a sci-fi movie. I allways wanted to make a smart home for myself but comercial systems were too expensive for a simple student. So I started looking for something a little simpler - room automation. Why automate the whole house in the start when you can build a smart home over time. And since there are no commercial systems for room automation (that I know of) - I started building my own. And so the roliHome was born.
RoliHome is a simple and very cheap room automation system that features almost everything that you need. It is made with simple components so it is easy to make and costs less than 100EUR.
Some of the features of this system:
- Presence detection (it actually counts how many people are in the room (using IR sensors installed around the doors) instead of using motion sensors)
- Automatic light control (turns lights on/off based on the presence and light conditions in the room)
- Remote control of the function (you can control the light using a standard IR remote control)
- Simple control application for your mac or PC (it can control one or many rooms with roliHome systemso you can control your whole home with one application)
- Included web server (roliHome application includes a simple webServer so you can control your home from the internet)
Here are some pictures of this system:
This is the roliHome system packaged in a nice little box. This picture was made during the build process so the LCD screen is not yet mounted.
These are the IR door sensors mounted on the door for testing. And yes I damaged the paint :-)
So if you like this system and would like to have your own - you can download the whole package (including the PCB schematics) here:
Control software should work on any machine with Windows or Mac OS. Also needed is Java support. The hardware section of this system is connected to the computer via USB port so you will need one USB port for every room that you wish to control via computer/web. You also don't need to connect the system to the computer if you don't want to.
If you have any questions about this project you can email me at (roli.r00li[at]gmail.com) or ask me on the arduino forum here:
I plan on adding more features in the future (like controlling the window blinds) so stay tuned!
Look on the next page for more details!
- Next >>